Skip to main content

Why Angry Birds & Breakout



Why does anyone do anything? 
Because they like it.
A big motto in my life is, only do things that make you happy.

I possibly should start with Breakout. The game developed by Apple's very own Steve Wozniak. As he was the brains behind Apple development so was he the mastermind behind the Breakout arcade. A fact not known to many. I played that arcade in 80's - yes, I am that old - and loved every minute of it. It was exciting, challenging and new for 8-year-old boy, to interact with things on screen and friends around you hearing you up. The most exciting was the power ups, and then countless iterations of the Breakout on commodore 64.

I must admit, I've played countless games since, some excited me more, some less, yet when the Angry Birds came out, it was something new. For starters, I was able to play a game on my iPhone, which was released just two years before launch of the Angry Birds, but more importantly, as a designer, I enjoy the simplicity.

The first iteration of Angry Birds was clean, simple and plain. You'd just play a game with cute and somewhat funny characters. Without too much stress you stimulated your brain and smiled.

This is how I came about thinking of smashET. The criteria for the development was clear for me from the beginning I wanted a simple game play, cute and likeable characters, engaging environment and hours of fun.

The biggest challenge for me so far, has been staying with my own guidelines. As a designer you always want to do something else, make it better. Smash ET is one of those projects, that if you not careful, you can easily over do it, rendering it disastrous. The game should act as a distressant - is it even a word? – and be challenging enough to keep player entertained and not stressed or frustrated.

I think that in summary, I have enjoyed both the games mentioned above vastly in my life. Both games stimulated problem solving for me and I want to enable players of my games to be able to have a good fun and a memorable experience.



About Winsche Studios
Winsche Studios is the UK-based game developer whose mantra in game development is to design an experience not a game. Adam Winczewski, the founder of the studio, has spent his entire life designing, painting, coding as a freelancer. Now, he transformed his passion to provide gaming community with unique experience.  

To learn more about Winsche Studios, please visit their website.

Comments