Skip to main content

Game Design - It's a never ending development


I have completed the game development document(GDD). Thought through every aspect of the game. Every detail was covered. Because of my love to structure and plan, I wanted to make sure I am covered from every angle. Then I have read one book, then another. Received feedback. Played other games. New ideas came. Old ideas went.
smashET GDD
And now, the GDD now serves only as a reference guide. Is writing a GDD bad idea then? Not at all.
I have to admit, I thought that it was a very bad idea. Why did I bother, spent days coming up with ideas, only to scrap them now? Yes, lots of ideas I initially had, have changed, improved, and the document comes useful now, only when I need a reminder of what my original thinking was. When new idea comes I amend my design, simple.

Witcher 3 
I was reading "Blood, sweat and Pixels" by Jason Schreier and during a chapter on Witcher 3, the author mentions that the developers of that game were worried to make actions in the game that will become repetitive - I read boring.”Is my game boring, is my game repetitive?” I thought to myself. This triggered my thinking about smashET game level flow. Bear with me, while I will try to explain here, what happens in a level.
Once level is loaded, several multi-color spaceships are already present together with a trampoline, on the screen. Player selects a monster, which then jumps on the trampoline and into the air, with the aim to vanquish the spaceships. Sure the level difficulty changes, the scenery changes, the aliens change, even the monsters change. Nevertheless, you are still greeted with the same set up every level.
Repetition. Full stop!

smashET Gameplay

What should I do to remove that aspect of repetition? I then remembered my wife's feedback "you could make the spaceships move a little," she pointed to me, while playing the very first level I’ve created. “Move?” I thought. “What, about make them descend in waves, just like in Space Invaders.” Yes, that was the thinking process. Quick, sharp. Problem, idea, solution. No withholding, no sentiment, that the change could, change the overall game design. No, I had a doubt about my game, and learned a long time ago to trust my gut.

Here I was, new idea. Another one to implement and change the game mechanics. But hey, it is for a better experience by the player, so has to be done.

What I'd say about planning and GDD is, do it at the very beginning of development and don't look
back at it until you need to. You need foundation, and the good thing about game development is that the rest of the build, from foundation up, can be made up as it progresses.
Stay creative!

About Winsche Studios
Winsche Studios is the UK-based game developer whose mantra in game development is to design an experience not a game. Adam Winczewski, the founder of the studio, has spent his entire life designing, painting, coding as a freelancer. Now, he transformed his passion to provide gaming community with unique experience.  

To learn more about Winsche Studios, please visit their website.


Comments