Skip to main content

Kickstarter or Crowdfunding




As a part of game development, marketing is probably as crucial a stage as code writing. What would be the use of a game release if no one knew about the game?

Maybe your time would not go to total waste and you'd have a feeling of achievement. In the end you have gone through a mammoth of a project and now its done! 
In my case, I want to benefit to the gaming community. To deliver smash ET to people, to make them happy.





I have decided to raise funds through Kickstarter, a main platform for crowdfunding. There are lot's of successful stories of games funded through kick starter. One of the highest funded project on Kickstarter was a board game called Kingdom Death
which generated whopping $12mln in 30 days. I am not expecting to generate this much money, although I have to admit it would be nice. 

As I am preparing to launch kick starter campaign in July 2018, I have decided to read some books on the topic. I currently go through 15 books /e-books a month, so decided to pick up two/ three titles that I could read to expand my knowledge on crowd funding.

It was not easy to find a relevant, high rated book on Kickstarter or Crowdfunding tropic in general. Although, I came across two titles that caught my interest,"Hacking Kickstarter, Indiegogo (2017 Edition), How to RaiseBig Bucks in 30 Days" by Patrice Williams Marks and "TheCrowdfunding Handbook, Raise Money for Your Small Business or Start-Up withEquity Funding Portals" by Cliff Ennico. The latter was much of an interest than the first one. It is published by a reputable publisher, it is 6h 51min long, has recent reviews. Whereas, the first book Hacking Kickstarter was just over an hour long without reviews, but it was the only one book that seem to cover the topic I was interested in. I did not have high hopes for this book. With the kudos of leave the best for last, I started to read Hacking Kickstarter. It was actually a minefield of useful information on how to successfully boost your campaign. I do not normally tend to pick up books that are less that 3 hours long, though I am glad, I did pick this one up. Concise, sharp and to the point. I found all the information, that otherwise would take me days to research. Fact, you can find it all on-line for free, yet paying only £10 for all the research Patrice did was money well spend. Once I finished this book, I was well excited to read the next one. If the first one gave me so much information in one hour, the second one should set me up for success for sure. 

Guess what? 
I could be more wrong about Cliff Ennico's book. 
First thing first, it was written by someone who never run a crowdfunding campaign. What? How can you claim that, your book will set industry standard, if you have not experienced crowdfunding.? The Crowdfunding Handbook talks about contracts, legal, tax, investors, business plans etc. Nothing, I mean nothing useful for crowdfunding. If you want to generate cash through investors, yes, you'd need all of the above, Crowdfunding is about community coming together to back up projects they like. People like you and me. Although I read everything to the end, this book was a struggle. 

Obviously one book will not give me all the answers and make my campaign a success.  Although, Patrice Williams Marks' "Hacking Kickstarter" is a good starting point if you do not know where to begin. Great advice, pleasant read and lots of useful resources. No time wasting. If I'd have to find anything about Patrice's book is the title. It put me off at first as it indicated that it might be an advice about unclean practices to successful campaigns. A must read for anyone starting a crowdfunding campaign. 

If you have read any of these books share your thought in comments please.

Stay creative



About Winsche Studios
Winsche Studios is the UK-based game developer whose mantra in game development is to design an experience not a game. Adam Winczewski, the founder of the studio, has spent his entire life designing, painting, coding as a freelancer. Now, he transformed his passion to provide gaming community with unique experience.  


To learn more about Winsche Studios, please visit their website.


Comments