Skip to main content

Can Game Development Studio Be Green?



It actually never occurred to me that game development could attribute to sustainability. I have never given it much of a thought. I assumed that starting a game development studio is all about code writing and internet. Yes, I now it is more to it, I am not naive. Just as a generalisation, I was blind to sustainability and an impact that even one mans studio can have on the planet earth. 


Winsche Studio's debut game (out 28/09/2018) will be smashET. Game theme is saving the planet earth from Extra-Testimonials invasion. What a coincident. 



What prompted me to think about sustainability? I recently attended London Business Forum at BAFTA where John Knell was talking about The 80 Minute MBA.

The very fist topic of this event, and same with his book he coauthored, was sustainability. This got me thinking "well, surely it is not applicable to all businesses." After giving it a little more thought,  I started to look for things that might contribute to game studio becoming environmentally friendly. I wanted to research a little more on the topic and get tips on what can I do to support sustainability. There is nothing, nisht, nada online on game development studio advice to environment. 


I want to share with you what Winsche Studios will do from now on to ensure we support sustainability in game development. Well we might actual be the first small studio to do so. 


ENERGY

we converted all monitors to A++ rated
use only laptops, powerful, efficient but not energy draining
use of low voltage laptop coolers to ensure the most efficiency for the laptop
we switch off all the monitors if not used 
use SAD light instead of flood light for recording and life streams 

PAPER/ PLASTIC

we do not use straws, disposable cups/ plates
all that is printed is done so at the minimal color or B&W
printing is minimal anyway 
removed the need for any paper statements and invoicing
all paper and plastic is properly recycled as well 

TRANSPORT

I drive Lexus CT200 Hybrid - yes I know I could do better but that would have to do for now
where possible bicycling and walking is a must 

RAISING AWARENESS

through our game and media we will ensure that we raise awareness of sustainability 
we ask all developers who work with us to be aware of our sustainability promise and follow it where they can
our games will always feature something "sustainable" - not sure what it will be yet

Here it is, our sustainability promise. I realise it is a very small part that we can play in helping the environment, yet if we could start a trend in gaming industry on being environmentally aware that would be a success. It is a big industry and so much can be done to raise awareness on various conferences. 

As we just started, I am sure that more things will come to us to improve. As they come I will keep updating this article. 
In the meantime please share any other ideas you might have, that we could do to help our planet.


Stay creative


About Winsche Studios
Winsche Studios is the UK-based game developer whose mantra in game development is to design an experience not a game. Adam Winczewski, the founder of the studio, has spent his entire life designing, painting, coding as a freelancer. Now, he transformed his passion to provide gaming community with unique experience.  



To learn more about Winsche Studios, please visit their website.

Comments